Assistant Professor in Technological Innovation, Entrepreneurship, and Strategic Management, with a focus on entrepreneurship
The Faculty of Science at Leiden University is looking for an
Assistant Professor in Technological Innovation, Entrepreneurship, and Strategic Management, with a focus on entrepreneurship (0.8-1.0 FTE)
Vacancy number 17-202
As part of its expansion, Science Based Business (SBB) at the University of Leiden’s Faculty of Science is recruiting an Assistant Professor in Technological Innovation, Entrepreneurship, and Strategic Management to take the lead in the development of new research and teaching programs in technology entrepreneurship.
- Produce impactful, quality research in international top journals in the field of Technological Innovation, Entrepreneurship, and Strategic Management;
- Provide leadership to the development of the New Technology Ventures (NTV) track of the Science Based Business (SBB) master specialisation, and the NTV course of the SBB minor at the Leiden University, Faculty of Science;
- Develop and deliver courses on entrepreneurship topics with a focus on new business creation in technology-intensive industries;
- Forge collaborations with colleagues from across different institutes that make up the Faculty of Science, and LUMC, as well as industry partners at the Leiden BioScience park and beyond.
- Have a strong research record or demonstrated research potential in the area of entrepreneurial management with a focus on publishing articles in top journals;
- Have completed a doctoral degree in entrepreneurial management, or a related field by the time she/he assumes the position;
- Show a clear affinity with the multidisciplinary mission of Science Based Business that bridges scholarship and practice in management on the one hand, and the natural and biomedical sciences on the other hand;
- Have the leadership skills required to forge relationships with key stakeholders groups inside and outside the university, and push forward the new research and teaching initiatives tied to SBB;
- Be excited to teach management subjects to undergraduate and/or postgraduate students with backgrounds in the sciences and biomedicine.
The Faculty of Science is a world-class faculty where staff and students work together in a dynamic international environment. It is a faculty where personal and academic development are top priorities. Our people are driven by curiosity to expand fundamental knowledge and to look beyond the borders of their own discipline; their aim is to benefit science, and to make a contribution to addressing the major societal challenges of the future. The research carried out at the Faculty of Science is diverse, ranging from mathematics, information science, astronomy, physics, chemistry and bio-pharmaceutical sciences to biology and environmental sciences. The research activities are organised in eight institutes. These institutes offer eight bachelor’s and twelve master’s programmes. The faculty has grown strongly in recent years and now has more than 1,300 staff and almost 4,000 students. We are located at the heart of Leiden’s Bio Science Park, one of Europe’s biggest science parks, where university and business life come together. For more information, see http://www.science.leidenuniv.nl.
SBB spans science, medicine, and business, focusing on areas such as technology management, innovation, entrepreneurship, operations, and decision making. SBB programs fuse business scholarship with technology and industry engagement, and accordingly forge strong relationships to other groups within the Faculty of Science and the Leiden University Medical School. Key themes around which SBB is forging collaborations across the university, and with industry are precision medicine, data sciences, and instrumentation. As part of its continuing expansion, SBB is developing new research and teaching programs in entrepreneurship.
We offer a position for the duration of 5 years. The position may be renewed based on need, funding and performance. Salary range from €3,427 to €5,330 gross per month based on a full-time position (pay scale 11-12 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More at http://www.workingat.leiden.edu/.
Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the University Teaching Qualification http://staff.leiden.edu/h-r/training/utq/more/bko.html. If the successful applicant does not already possess this qualification or its equivalent, he/she must be willing to obtain this Qualification within two years.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Enquiries can be made to Professor Simcha Jong, email email@example.com. If you have any questions about the procedure, please contact Ariënne Bruin, email firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone +31 71 527 4551.
To apply for this vacancy, please send no later than 30 September 2017 an email to Ariënne Bruin at email@example.com. Please ensure that you upload the following additional documents quoting the vacancy number:
• A CV;
• A cover letter;
• The names of three references who can be contacted for shortlisted candidates.